USB Ethernet

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Tue Jul 20 21:28:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 16:19 -0500, Pastor Doug Coats wrote:
> I recently installed FC2 on a laptop and need a network connection on it.
> When I had Win98 I utilized a USB DLink device.  I am wondering how to
> instruct Linux to use a USB device once it sees it.
>
> When I plug it in the following shows up in the "messages" log.
>
> kernel: USB 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 3
> kernel: eth0: register usbnet at usb-000:00:07.2-1, DLink DUB-E100 USB
> Ethernet
>
> Any help would be appreciated - even if you could just push me in the right
> direction.  I am pretty familiar with networking in Linux but have not
> utilized USB devices before.
>
> Thanks for your help.

To a relative layman in terms of USB ethernet devices, it seems from
your log as if the device is detected and initialized already. Do you
want a specific network interface (eth0, in this case) to automatically
come up when you plug in the device? I'm sure can be configured via
hotplug and/or the networking scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-
scripts...