rivafb and NVIDIA-Linux

Lew Bloch conrad at lewscanon.com
Wed Jul 21 00:10:56 UTC 2004

> I get a message saying that rivfb must be
> disabled in the kernel

Actually, it says that rivafb must not be enabled, not quite the same thing.
  It seems that rivafb is a loadable driver, not usually loaded unless you
have that card.  I've been using the same NVIDIA driver on the same Fedora
distro with no problems, presumably because Linux never feels the need to
load the rivafb driver.

Unlike some Linux-heads, I do not relish the notion of building my own kernel
over every little thing.  It pleases me when these things work as well as the
nvidia driver did.

> But if I run "X" from the command line in runlevel 3 to test, it works
> but then my prompt doesn't come back when I exit X.

Try "Ctl-Alt-F1" after you exit X.  Text mode Linux runs in multiple
terminals; Fedora seems to set up 6 by default.  X goes into the seventh
terminal, but leaves you there when you exit.