OT: Realtek 8139 hangs after dhcp at startup

Ben Vitale bsvitale at comcast.net
Wed Jul 21 01:49:30 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

This problem seems unrelated to the Fedora OS itself.

Upon startup, after the memory test, when my Realtek 8139 ethernet card
initializes (?), I see the following:

  Realtek 8139A/B/C / RTL8130 PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.11 (001205)
  Client Mac Address: ......         GUID: .......
  Client IP: ......      Mask: .....   DHCP IP: .......
  Gateway IP: .....

All the addresses/values that display are correct.  But then it stops.
And hangs (indefinitely, far as I can tell).  If I start the machine
with the ethernet cable unplugged, it bypasses this situation
completely, after which I can plug in the ethernet cable and eth0 comes
up with no issue in FC2.

This problem only recently started occurring when I got Comcast for
Internet.  I had no such problems with my LAN at school.  I couldn't
find anything in the BIOS to somehow disable this media check upon startup.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben