lm_sensors modules don't want to load on boot

Daniel Stonier snorri_dj at operamail.com
Wed Jul 21 02:17:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:56:30 -0400, Ben Vitale <bsvitale at comcast.net>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have this file..
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 102 Jul 12 22:44 /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors
>
> Which contains:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /sbin/modprobe i2c-nforce2
> /sbin/modprobe i2c-isa
> /sbin/modprobe eeprom
> /sbin/modprobe it87
>
> But when I boot into FC2, these statements don't seem to get executed,
> and my sensors don't show up gkrellm.  After startup, if I execute those
> commands manually from the command-line as root, they load without error
> and the sensors work properly.
>
> What am I missing to get that accomplished on startup?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

I put the lm_sensors modprobes at the end of my /etc/rc.local file and
that works fine.

I dont know the details for sure, but I think there's more to it than just
throwing a script in
init.d to get it to start up from there. They need to be linked to a
particular runlevel etc. I better
not ramble anymore - it's been too long since I did it and I'll probably
lead you paddleless up
a creek :)

I still find rc.local the best spot to dump everything extra in - you can
migrate
 from one FC version to another and all you need then is to copy the one
file - no need to fiddle
all the init.d scripts.

Regards,
Daniel Stonier.