serving pop3

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jul 21 03:28:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 20:19, Jonathan T. Steadman wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 21:37, Craig White wrote:

> > > Mike,
> > >
> > > Exactly where in the code for the service command does it call the make
> > > command??
> > >
> > > I looked through that code and I see nowhere that it does anything other
> > > than call the init script to manage the services.  And I KNOW that
> > > /etc/init.d/sendmail does not call a make command itself.
> > >
> > > Unless you can point to the exact portion of code that does this I will
> > > continue to believe that I must do the "make -C /etc/sendmail" command
> > > myself and will recommend to others that they do the same.
> > ---
> > cat /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail
> >
> > you are looking too deep.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> I guess it doesn't matter to much, my problem was solved, and if the
> only consequence was that I might have to type the extra 15 characters
> apprx.(make -C /etc/mail) to do the same thing, it was O.K. by me saved
> me much grief, in trying to guess blindly about how to accomplish what I
> wanted accomplished.  So anyways Thanks again to all who helped out on
> this one, I am running dovecot/sendmail and am happy all is well ;).
----
my comment was to Jeff - I didn't help you at all but would have. You
got help from some of the best people on this list...Jeff V, Mike C,
etc.

The interesting thing is that even though some of us think we know a
lot, we are always learning too - I think Jeff will attend to this. I
know that I learn a lot by reading through the emails on this list.

;-)

Craig