serving pop3

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Wed Jul 21 03:30:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 23:19, Jonathan T. Steadman wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 21:37, Craig White wrote:

> > > Mike,
> > >
> > > Exactly where in the code for the service command does it call the make
> > > command??
> > >
> > > I looked through that code and I see nowhere that it does anything other
> > > than call the init script to manage the services.  And I KNOW that
> > > /etc/init.d/sendmail does not call a make command itself.
> > >
> > > Unless you can point to the exact portion of code that does this I will
> > > continue to believe that I must do the "make -C /etc/sendmail" command
> > > myself and will recommend to others that they do the same.
> > ---
> > cat /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail
> >
> > you are looking too deep.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> I guess it doesn't matter to much, my problem was solved, and if the
> only consequence was that I might have to type the extra 15 characters
> apprx.(make -C /etc/mail) to do the same thing, it was O.K. by me saved
> me much grief, in trying to guess blindly about how to accomplish what I
> wanted accomplished.  So anyways Thanks again to all who helped out on
> this one, I am running dovecot/sendmail and am happy all is well ;).

But, I think the importance to the audience in general is that the make
routine is running each time sendmail is started.

The important thing to me was the idea that if I were to edit
sendmail.cf directly, those changes that I define could be overwritten
when the make routine recreates a new sendmail.cf from the sendmail.mc
file simply by starting the service or rebooting the box....

Is that logic sound and of concern to anyone else?

--Rob