SATA on Upgrade from RH9

jamie_myers at promina.com.au jamie_myers at promina.com.au
Wed Jul 21 04:20:06 UTC 2004

I have a situation where I have a NIC who's driver will only compile under
2.4 kernel, so I install RH9, install the drivers and can't access my SATA
HDD. All is well with the world as this is as expected. I then do an
upgrade to Fedora Core 2, which with a 2.6 Kernel has SATA support. I can
now see my SATA controler my NIC is still working... all is well with the
world still.... however the SATA HDD does not show up on the disk mounter
tool, but I can see it.. kinda...:

SCSI subsystem initialized
libata version 1.02 loaded.
ata_piix version 1.02
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.2 to 64
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xC000 ctl 0xC402 bmdma 0xD000 irq 11
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xC800 ctl 0xCC02 bmdma 0xD008 irq 11
ata1: dev 0 cfg 49:2f00 82:7c6b 83:7f09 84:4003 85:7c68 86:3e01 87:4003
88:207f
ata1: dev 0 ATA, max UDMA/133, 398297088 sectors (lba48)
ata1: dev 0 configured for UDMA/133
scsi0 : ata_piix
ata2: SATA port has no device.
ata2: thread exiting
scsi1 : ata_piix
  Vendor: ATA       Model: Maxtor 6Y200M0    Rev: 1.02
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 05
SCSI device sda: 398297088 512-byte hdwr sectors (203928 MB)
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
ata1: thread exiting

as you can see the sda is there and it has 1 partition, sda1, however if I
try to mount it manualy I get the following:

"mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device"

Can anyone help me with this? I am going out of my mind! If I install
Fedora Core 2 from scratch I can see my HDD but can't install the NIC.....
AARRGGHH....
Jamie Myers

CAUTION - This message is intended for the addressee named above
It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you must not use, copy, distribute or
disclose it to anyone other than the addressee. If you have received
this message in error please return the message to the sender by
replying to it and then delete the message from your computer.

Internet emails are not necessarily secure. Promina Group Limited does not
accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent