Ethernet card does not work with FC2

John Morrison jmorrison at snspix.com
Wed Jul 21 08:10:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 01:56, Alberto M R Davila wrote:
> I just installed FC2 in my toshiba satellite 4600 laptop (pentium 3) and
> the ethernet card is not working even the "redhat-config-network" shows
> eth0 is "Active"...  I tried a new installation (formatting partitions)
> but it does not work as well... curiously during boot the eth0 is loaded
> "OK". I tried the "linux rescue" boot with the disk 1 of FC2 and
> nothing... but when I try the "linux rescue" of FC1 the eth0 works...
> "ping" from and to the laptop does not work. My "firewall" is enabled to
> allow only SSH connections... btw, my sound card was not recognized after
> installation as well, the test failed... any tips how I could conifgure
> the eth0 manually ? Everything used to work fine when I was using FC1 in
> the same laptop ;-)
>
> Thanks for any tips you may send.
>
> Cheers, Alberto
Alberto,

I had a problem when I first installed FC2 with ethernet cards being
given a different device name from FC1. I have two network cards and
eth0 became eth1 and vice versa. I realise that you may only have one
card but it is worth checking that the device name has not changed
somewhere. Check redhat->system tools-> network device control.

--
John