Playing encrypted DVDs with Xine - partial workaround

Jim Higson jh at 333.org
Wed Jul 21 11:38:42 UTC 2004

Since Xine was refusing to use decss on this particular CD, I used dvd:rip to
extract non-encoded vob files, which play in Xine just fine.

In case anyone else has this problem, dvd:rip is just a frontend to the
programs doing the real work. In the apt/yum repositories it's packaged as
perl-Video-DVDRip.

Ironic that encryption to stop me from copying a rental DVD forced me to. I'll
delete the vob files when I'm done - too much drive space, but now I have
dvd::rip I could easily make them into a much smaller xvid file.