Steps after installation.

Steven Op de beeck steven at opdebeeck.org
Wed Jul 21 12:05:31 UTC 2004

Piotr Gajewski wrote:
> Hello,
> I installed Fedora for the very first time on my laptop. I never used
> RedHat. And my question about packages management:
> other distros (like debian, gentoo, freebsd) get packages list from
> server and via some application i can view/install some of them.
> Can i (and where?) configure some fedora tool to view packages on some
> servers and easily install them?
> If so - please give some addresses which i could use.
>
> Thanks,
> greetings,
>
> gajos
>
> P.S.
> Sorry for my english.

If you want a more GUI approach, install 'apt' using yum:
 > yum install apt

apt does pretty much the same as yum, it uses different repositories
though.
To get a graphical interface for apt, install synaptic:

 > yum install synaptic

OR (since you already used yum in the first part, you might give apt a
try)

 > apt-get install synaptic

(you have to run 'apt-get update' before this, to update your local
package lists)

Then start 'synaptic'.

Good luck.

--