trailing blank line in a text file

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 21 12:47:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 22:05 -0500, Olga wrote:
> Yes, I understand that. But what I want is for it to be 3 lines, because
> the programs that I have that process those files will need to be changed
> if I consider the file to be 4 lines long. And I was hoping it would be
> easier for me to figure out how to eliminate trailing blank lines rather
> than edit the programming code for it to work.

I think you will find yourself running into more problems trying to get
your editors set up correctly than if you just alter the code. Suppose
you set up vi to do what you want, first of all other programs may not
process the file correctly; and now you have to make sure that only vi
with the correct settings is used to edit the file. Isn't it easier just
to alter the code?