Ethernet card does not work with FC2

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 21 14:37:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 10:11, Alberto M R Davila wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I am using the normal network cable (the blue one) to connect my card to
> the local network... I just unplugged the cable/connector from a computer
> connedt to internet (working properly of course) use it for my laptop and
> cloned the accordingly the IP address and DNS, then nothing.. I am
> attaching the log...
>
> What a difficult task.
>
> Thanks, Alberto

hmmm, still don't know what type of switch you are connecting to.  If
you used the same IP address as another device that was on the network
there could a couple of issues even if the other device is off the
network.

The switches used at your location could be locked down.  Some switches
allow you to specify what MAC address that port on the switch is allowed
to talk to.  If that is the case you will need to get the network
administrator to setup a port for you on the switch.

The other problem could be that the default gateway probably has the
other machines MAC address in cache.  Until that times out or can be
flushed your machine will not be able to talk to the gateway.  What
happens is your system arps for the router and gets a reply.  You then
try to send a packet to the MAC address supplied in the arp.  The router
gets your packet and checks its arp cache for the MAC address assigned
to that IP and sends the reply out to the wrong MAC address.

Again if that is the case you can get the network administrator to flush
the arp cache or sometimes just try to ping your IP from the router.
After that it should work.

The other thing you can do is get a different IP address, one that has
not been used yet on the network.

Also, you may still want to get a cross over cable and try that test I
suggested.  That will tell you for sure if the interface is configured
correctly.

Also, the other thing I mentioned last time was to verify that you do
have link to the switch (should have an led on the switch to indicate
that) and that you are set to the correct speed and duplex settings.
Those should be autonegotiated but I have seen that fail on Cisco
switches and Sun servers.  You can use mii-tool to specify those
settings if needed.

I am copying this back to  the list as this may provide some others with
info that may point to a solution for you.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

It seems a little silly now, but this country was founded as a protest
against taxation.