[FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jul 21 19:01:48 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 14:37, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]
>> I was under the impression it should be unique globally.  Is this
>> not a piece of every tcp packet sent?  In which case is it mangled
>> by iptables somehow?  Its set to mangle, and any of these three
>> machines has network access with my setup, and I'm invisible to an
>> nmap scan.
>
>MAC addresses are layer 2, not layer 3.  This means that they're
> used on the same subnet, but don't cross a router.  IIRC, MAC
> addresses don't cross switches either, only hubs or bridges.

Oh, in that case I'm home free since there is a netgear switch between
me and the firewall box.

>If you use a sufficient level of randomness (or, heck, use a vendor
> code (the first three bytes) that hasn't been used yet) then you
> should be able to plug in to any network without issue.
>
>If you're only using this box at home, then just ensure that you're
> not using a MAC address that's already in use on your network.
>
>Ben

Great Ben, and thanks.  But what if somebody wants to make a web
server out of one of these boards.  Seems like they'd at least have
the potential for trouble.  It even smells bad to me in that case.
I need to see if there is a newer bios for this board, so on the odd
chance (yeah, I know, someplace between slim and point double ought
zip) that it might be fixed if I update it, this ones version 00,
always bad news IMO.  Yes, theres a considerably newer one I just
grabbed. :-).   Reboot time I believe, as soon as I put it on a
floppy.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.