Create an rpm from a tar.gz

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jul 21 20:39:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 13:32, David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 15:11, William Hooper wrote:
> > >
> > > http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/contrib/noarch/SRPMS/webmin-1.130-1.src.htm
> >
> > I would go for the more current one here:
> >
> > http://www.webmin.com/download.html
> >

> The former is a source RPM and, presumably, contains a spec file that
> can be used as a template.
----
FWIW - webmin has a brilliant update scheme and updates itself from
webadmin.sourceforge.net and thus, I never install the webmin rpm, I
always use the tarball. There are subtle differences in the result if
you install via tarball or rpm. The first being, the rpm requires you to
login as root with root password and there is no instructions for the
user.

Craig