added memory ...

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jul 22 02:22:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 19:18, Kent Emia wrote:
> hello to all,
>
> is it safe just to add up another slot of memory without any changes?
>
> and just wondered before adding up the 256mb of memory i have ranging
> 4000k - 5000k free of memory and as i added another 256mb a total of
> 512mb of memory in my PC .. still the free memory is still ranging from
> the one i specified above ..
>
> so does this means that its useless for me adding up the memory because
> i still do have the same free memory ..
----
It's not useless at all.

The free memory didn't change because you didn't change the amount of
virtual memory (man swapon) but because you have added more real memory,
it's likely that you will do a lot less paging in and out of virtual
memory. Of course, you can add more virtual memory - see the man pages
referenced above.

Craig