[FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Thu Jul 22 02:22:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 21:07, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Am I on the right trail here, or am I getting colder?

I honestly don't know about your card.  I missed the earlier part of the
thread where you first started asking about manually specifying a
Hardware/MAC address for your NIC.  I am just an old Cisco guy who felt
the need to clarify the use of the term switch....

But back to your changing the MAC address.  Why are you needing to do
this?  Frankly the last time I had to worry about creating LAAs (Locally
Administered Addresses - an IBMism from the Token Ring days), was with
some, I think it was, Western Digital Ethernet cards right before they
sold their NIC card business to SMC and were dumping cards into
distribution that had duplicate MAC addresses.  Only a problem if we
sold the cards to the same reseller (of course, they came in
5-packs...).  This was back in 1989 or 1990, if I remember correctly,
and were a manufacturing mistake....

Why not just use the MAC address that is burned in to the NIC, or am I
rehashing stuff you've already worked on with Gene - at which point just
tell me to go back into my lurking corner.... :-)

In looking at your recent lspci, I have never heard of nVidia making
NICs, just graphics cards, so is there actually a driver available for
that NIC?  Of course, that is probably what you are asking us....

Maybe I am not helping on this one..........  returning to my corner....

--Rob