Package Management

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Thu Jul 22 02:31:45 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Patrick Boutilier
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 7:00 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Package Management

John Dangler wrote:
>> In reading the man pages for rpm, I didn't see a way to take a package
>> currently in the rpm database and sync it with one that I've downloaded
>> and installed from source.  I'm reading the man pages on yum to see if
>> this is possible, but haven't noticed it yet (although yum provides
>> <name> is a great resource!). I've read some articles attempting to
>> explain this but for some reason I'm not getting it.  Can anyone here
>> shed a little light on the subject for me please?
>>
>> e.g. - I have httpd and php installed as part of the original FC2 distro,
>> but needed to add xml/xslt support for some architecture development.  I
>> downloaded the latest sources for Apache,Sablot,and PHP.  I'd like to now
>> tell rpm/yum that I have an updated version so that they know.

> Remove the httpd and php packages before you install your compiled ones.

I checked the rpm man page, and, after a couple of test runs (using rpm -e
--test), is it acceptable to use rpm -e --nodeps with httpd and php, since
the mysql, perl, python, ssl, odbc, and ldap are needed by these packages?

Or is more advisable to erase them all, and then get all the sources for
this entire group of packages and configure and install them?
Thanks.
John Dangler