[FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

Price Technology pricetech at charter.net
Thu Jul 22 02:50:20 UTC 2004

Robert Locke wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 21:07, Gene Heskett wrote:
>

>>Am I on the right trail here, or am I getting colder?
>

> I honestly don't know about your card.  I missed the earlier part of the
> thread where you first started asking about manually specifying a
> Hardware/MAC address for your NIC.  I am just an old Cisco guy who felt
> the need to clarify the use of the term switch....
>
> But back to your changing the MAC address.  Why are you needing to do
> this?  Frankly the last time I had to worry about creating LAAs (Locally
> Administered Addresses - an IBMism from the Token Ring days), was with
> some, I think it was, Western Digital Ethernet cards right before they
> sold their NIC card business to SMC and were dumping cards into
> distribution that had duplicate MAC addresses.  Only a problem if we
> sold the cards to the same reseller (of course, they came in
> 5-packs...).  This was back in 1989 or 1990, if I remember correctly,
> and were a manufacturing mistake....
>
> Why not just use the MAC address that is burned in to the NIC, or am I
> rehashing stuff you've already worked on with Gene - at which point just
> tell me to go back into my lurking corner.... :-)
>
> In looking at your recent lspci, I have never heard of nVidia making
> NICs, just graphics cards, so is there actually a driver available for
> that NIC?  Of course, that is probably what you are asking us....
>
> Maybe I am not helping on this one..........  returning to my corner....
>
> --Rob

Per his earlier posts, he seems to have an onboard NIC without a "burned
in" MAC.  I'm not familiar with NVidia making NIC's, but my Son has a
winders gaming system which has a Asus board with NVidia everything.
(except NIC)

Now to the original issue:

Pardon if I am making incorrect assumptions, but I would go back through
the manual that came with the MoBo and try to find some reference to a
"default" MAC if for no other reason than knowing you at least have the
right manufacturer's prefix.

Try the following url, if the above proves in vain:

http://www.coe.uky.edu/~stu/nic/nic.cfm

It's a cross-reference of MAC to Manufacturer and vice versa.

Joebewan