Sound (and wireless) on new Presario R3000

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Thu Jul 22 04:52:35 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 22:33, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
>

>>It is confirmed that wireless and sound have an IRQ conflict. If i
>>configure modprobe to load atiixp-modem driver (which doesn't do good
>>for sound), then i can get wireless to work, and if i use atiixp driver
>>in modprobe, then i can have sound in xmms (the rest still doesn't work
>>well (see below)), but can't have wireless. Moreover, in the first
>>scenario, trying to use sound (even xmms) causes wireless to stop
>>working until i log out, and re-login The message is:
>>Listening on Device /dev/pts/3
>>localhost kernel: Disabling IRQ #5.
>>
>>The IDE, audio, modem , VGA compatible controller, FireWire, CardBus
>>bridge, and  USB Controller  use IRQ 10. Wireless, and again USB
>>controller use IRQ 5, according to lspci -v.
>>
>>My kernel is 2.6.5-1.358.
>>
>>Sounds like one absence of a suitable sound card driver is causing all
>>the grief. There was no sound until i installed the latest alsa-driver,
>>and now there is a conflict, because sound ends up using IRQ 5.  It
>>actually makes some sense: both modem (wireless), and sound end up in
>>IRQ 5. So it appears there needs to be a driver that handles both audio
>>and modem sides of the card, for it not to have an IRQ conflict. And as
>>far as i see, neither atiixp, nor atiixp-modem drivers meet this
>>requirement yet.
>>This would be my first experience with improving a driver, but any tips
>>on where to start improving one of the drivers above would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>><rsa/>
>>

>Although not optimal, you may have to disable the onboard sound and
>install an inexpensive sound card.  I have found this necessary at times
>when I could not get the onboard chipset to work correctly.
>
>Also, you might play with the order drivers are loaded. Sometimes that
>can make all the difference in the world on the output.
>
>I also would strongly recommend you update to the 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 kernel
>and other packages as well before you do anything else.  If you have not
>updated packages since the install of FC2 there are a lot of packages
>that have been  updated, including the kernel (twice) and most of the
>alsa packages.

Thanks for your reply. I upgraded the kernel and updated all other
packages installed. I also uninstalled the wireless driver.
atiixp still suffers from a IRQ conflict, w/ "codec read timeout". While
atiixp-modem complains about /dev/pts/0: no such file or directory.
This is not surpising because i already had the latest alsa installed
before upgrade.
It appears that the fix lies in making atiixp-modem driver stable; it is
currently experimental.

Thanks,
<rsa/>