repository collections (was: Package Management)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jul 22 08:30:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 10:39:25PM -0400, John Dangler wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 06:39:11PM -0400, John Dangler wrote:
> >> I'm searching for a list, but haven't found one.  Is there a 'collective'
> >> repository site somewhere on the web that has a list like this?  (I
> >> currently have ATrpms, FC2-base, FC2-released upates).
>
> >If you installed atrpms-package-config you will get access to
> >(depending on distribution) up to a dozen repos. For FC2 not all repos
> >offer rpms, and not all of them offer than in yum metadata format
> >(e.g. some require apt).
>
> >Try
>
> >yum install atrpms-package-config apt
>
> >and merge /etc/yum.conf.rpmnew with /etc/yum.conf (or simply copy it
> >over).
>
> Thanks, Axel.  Is it okay to have a longer list of repos as possible
> choices?  Are there dangers of having the same package conflict due to
> multiple listings on different repos? (Or worse, differing versions?)

With a couple of thousands of packages around that possibility
surely exists (and it has occurred). In that event the bast action to
take is to notify the respective entities (PM or mailing list or
bugzilla, BTW all these repos have a common bugzilla at
bugzilla.atrpms.net) and give them a couple of hours to fix it ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net