[FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 12:22:10 UTC 2004

Gene Heskett wrote:
> From that, and a reboot of course, I'm now showing this in an
> "lspci -vvv|grep Ethernet" for that device:
>
> 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
<snip>
> --
> 01:06.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)
<snip>
> So basicly its still an unk device and I'm running on the second
> listed above.  Is this the 'forcedeth' driver that I've seen
> discussed on lkml at length, oh, say 6 weeks ago?
>
> If so, should it not be in the kernel tree and selectable in a make xconfig
> screen by now?  Currently running 2.6.8-rc2 here.  But I don't recall seeing
> it in the -mm trees either, and I run both as they come out or shortly
> thereafter.

That's the way I understand it. The forcedeth driver is listed in the
2.6.7 tree as "Reverse Engineered nForce Ethernet support
(EXPERIMENTAL)" under the "Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)" menu, about nine up
from the RealTek 8139 driver. So make sure you select "Prompt for
development and/or incomplete code/drivers".

HTH,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "PS. If my employers are reading this, the above is