FC2 on a Dell M60

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 22 14:12:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 09:37, Simon Sedgwick wrote:
> Hi one and all,
>
> I'm thinking about purchasing a Dell M60 and dual booting XP Pro and
> FC2. I've read a few reports of Dell laptops getting fried because the
> ACPI support doesn't work properly with the 2.4 kernel; has anybody got
> suspend to work with FC2 and the 2.6 kernel? I know I'll need the
> Linuxant drivers to get the modem and WiFi to work.

I have an old Dell Latitude that I have been running FC2 on for awhile.
So far it works well.  Not sure if the results will be the same with an
M60 or not.  The fan appears to be controlled just fine with FC2.  It
starts and stops as the system heats up and cools down.  Power
management appears to work fine.  I have not spent time to get suspend
to work, looked at it briefly but have not since then.

I guess the M60 comes with wireless/modem integrated.  Mine uses PCMCIA
cards for those services.  The Xircom card for wired ethernet and modem
appears to work with no problem.  (still have to find a way to get the
dialup to work with Brighthouse's dial up service, but the modem does
dial).  Have been using a D-Link DWL-G650 wireless card with the prism54
drivers.  Other than the card not being listed in the Network
Configuration tool it works well.

> FYI, I plan to use XP only for my music composition and FC2 for
> development, 3D/2D graphics and everything else. So if you know of any
> other problems I'm likely to encounter with going over to Dell laptops
> I'd love to know.

I picked up a second harddrive for my laptop to load FC2 on.  Have not
put the drive with windows 2000 on it back in the laptop since then.  So
far everything I want to do I can do from FC2 on the laptop.  The only
real problem I have is that I would like to get the display to run at a
higher resolution but I think I have hit the limit for this laptop
(although it seemed like I was at a higher resolution with windows
2000).

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

I used to be an agnostic, but now I'm not so sure.