sendmail issue. rick

Jonathan T. Steadman fedoracore at stny.rr.com
Thu Jul 22 14:31:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 19:01, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Jonathan T. Steadman wrote:
> > DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
> >
> > I dont think this is problem
> >
> > thats how its supposed to be right?  cause it was like this already,
> > something else is wrong, I can recieve pop, but can't sendmail here is
> > error from log
> >
> > Jul 21 13:47:43 hostname(not really named this) sendmail[6602]:
> > i6LHlh4G006602: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<myemail at hotmail.com>,
> > relay=[], reject=550 5.7.1 <myemail at hotmail.com>... Relaying denied
> >
> > Jul 21 13:47:43 hostname(not really named this) sendmail[6602]:
> > i6LHlh4G006602: from=<email at mydomain.org>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0,
> > proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=[]
>
> By default, sendmail will not relay messages sent from any domain that
> is not the domain of the machine or one listed in /etc/mail/access.
> This is specifically to prevent people who don't know how to set up mail
> (and pardon me for saying this, but you sound like one of them) from
> being open relays for spammers and worms.
>
> To fix this and use your machine as the SMTP box, make sure your mail
> client uses your local domain name in the sender address.  If you want
> replies to your mail to be sent to your hotmail account, set up the
> "Reply-To:" bit of your client to do that.  Whatever you do, do NOT put
> hotmail.com in your access database or many, many mail admins (myself
> included) will personally come over and beat the tar out of you as you
> will be a wonderful source of spam.  I doubt that your ISP will allow
> you to send mail out from your local box anyway.  Most won't route port
> 25 from inside their network to the outside world except to their own
> mail servers.  They block it for any other destination.
>
> <soap>
> I don't intend to sound mean, but if you don't know how to set up mail,
> PLEASE don't try.  Probably 70% of the crap email on the internet is
> due to newbies tinkering with this or idiot ISPs that don't block port
> 25 properly.
> </soap>
> -           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -

Rick,
I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time if I don't
try then how will I learn?  You are correct in your assumption that I am
a newb in this area, but it is a learning experience for me, I realize
the risk in being a victim of an exploited mail server, and trust me
while I am doing this I constantly check mail logs, ect. and I have no
problem with unplugging myself from Internet temporarily until the
problem is fixed, my server is not running anything vitally important
just a lot of servers running because I am trying to learn how things
work on linux box, I am only 16 and like I said trying to pick up on
some new things this summer, because I dont have a lot of time during
the year due to the fact that I try to focus most my effort on school
for the last couple years I am in high school.  Anyways I appreciate
your concern and dont think I just take your advice fix it and then,
when I go to another setup, I ask all over again, I try to learn from
advice given on this board, and take notes on things I think are worth
remembering, read through as much as I can on links that are handed to
me, as well as bookmark them if I don't have the time to read them
immediately.  Anyways I have gotten the answer to my problem and all
things are working well now.  Thanks a lot to everyone who helped with
this one it is much appreciated.