[FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 22 16:02:24 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 08:22, James Wilkinson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>> If so, should it not be in the kernel tree and selectable in a
>> make xconfig screen by now?  Currently running 2.6.8-rc2 here.
>> But I don't recall seeing it in the -mm trees either, and I run
>> both as they come out or shortly thereafter.
>
>That's the way I understand it. The forcedeth driver is listed in
> the 2.6.7 tree as "Reverse Engineered nForce Ethernet support
>(EXPERIMENTAL)" under the "Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)" menu, about
> nine up from the RealTek 8139 driver. So make sure you select
> "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers".

Good grief James, I must be going blind, and the optometrist says I
check at 20/10, but you are correct.  I have a kernel building with
that in it now.  I blew it all away and re-unpacked as I'd tried to
apply those patches from the developers website and they mostly blew
up.

I have both the 8139too and forcedeth in the build, so I'd assume my
modprobe.conf is going to need an "alias eth0 8139too", and an "alias
eth1 forcedeth" in it?  and reverseing those assignments to test.
Humm, wonder if I have a second cat5 jumper (I have 5 ports empty on
a netgear 8 port switch yet :)  Humm, when builtin, that isn't going
to effect it.  Anyway, time to hit send and reboot. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.