Annoying and seemingly unsolvable problem.

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 22 18:54:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 03:53:56PM -0700, Thomas Sapp wrote:

> I have a weird "problem" that may just be a mere annoyance that everyone
> experiences.  Whenever I copy content from one application or document
> and want to paste it in to another application it works fine until I
> close out of the application that I copied it from.
> problem?  Sorry for such a trivial matter but ....

Cut buffer behavior can be complex. Some applications
expect multiple buffers, some defer to library support
and some use clipboards or other services.

In your case get in the habit of simply iconifying the source
application.  Apparently when this application is torn down resources
associated with it are also destroyed (cut buffer). Applications that
clean up after themselves are a good thing.  If they did not
eventually the lack of tidiness would cause a security problem or
resource depletion.

Some applications like editors run the keyboard input in raw mode
stepping on CTL-C, CTL-X, CTL-V bindings (as they should, IMO).

I also find that the 'edit--> copy; edit-->paste' on the decorations
around windows works when keyboard shortcuts do not.

In some cases I have resorted to using a vi/ vim editor window
and keep text there.

Other applications have key binding modes.  For example my fingers
know many emacs escapes.  If I bind for emacs vi actions do not work.
If I bind to emacs most of the control this and control that keys are
bound in ways that emacs users like.  In bash see stuff like
"editing-mode can be set to either emacs or vi." in the man page.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where insight begins.