drive partition on install

Sam Tregar sam at tregar.com
Thu Jul 22 21:28:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, John Dangler wrote:

> I'm installing FC2 using the 'workstation' installation on a notebook with a
> 40gb disc, 512mb ram.
> Is there a 'recommended' layout for partitioning the drive?

I'm not an official source, but I'd lay it out like this:

  /boot  100MB
  swap   1024MB
  /      everything else

The /boot partition is useful to work around problems some BIOS have
with booting a kernel that's too far into the disk (past 8GB, if
memory serves).  1GB of swap is generally right for 512MB of memory.
Then I just partition the rest as one big / partition.  I've found
that setting up separate /tmp, /usr, /home and /var partitions is just
more trouble than it's worth since you'll inevitably guess wrong about
the proper size of each.

-sam