backup and hidden files in tar

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Jul 23 00:57:02 UTC 2004

On 18:17 22 Jul 2004, J.L. Coenders <fedora at universalgrid.nl> wrote:
| How do I include backup and hidden files in my tar archives? I want a complete
| backup of my home directory, including all settings.

Tar doesn't treat any files specially. Nor do most UNIX tools.
Notions like "backup" or "hidden" are purely in your own mind.

The nearest you get to "hidden" files on UNIX is the "ls" command, that
doesn't bother showing files whose names commence with "."  unless you
give the -a option, and shell globs, which don't match a leading ".".

So tar will archive your whoile directory for you without any special
options.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The hardest years in life are those between ten and seventy.
        - Helen Hayes (at age 84)