Pesky virus

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jul 23 17:25:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 13:12, James Marcinek wrote:
> First, sorry the thread got away, I was thinking that the issue was
> related not trying to steal it...
>
> I read my maillogs and see that relaying is denied when I see the
> attempts. However sometimes I get mail delivery errors for emails I
> haven't sent? What I was thinking is that someone could do a telnet in
> to my port 25 and use my domain to send from... (as if the user where
> from my domain...)
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

What you are seeing are the results of forged email headers.  Your
address was used by some other system in the from field of an email sent
to a third party.  The system where the recipient of the forged email
was sent bounced the message, probably because the spammer was guessing
at valid email addresses.  Since your email address was in the from
field the message was bounced back to you not the spammer system.

So the original email was never sent from you or your server.  This is
all normal traffic today, unfortunately.

Nothing to worry about unless you actually see messages in your log
files being sent to people you don't know.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"Conversion, fastidious Goddess, loves blood better than brick, and feasts
most subtly on the human will."
-- Virginia Woolf, "Mrs. Dalloway"