Pesky virus

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 23 20:09:19 UTC 2004

If anything is infected here it is a collection of Linux user's paranoia
filters, particularly Michaels.

The very first computer literacy course everybody faces in school or
college should include a section entitied, "They really ARE out to get
you; but, it's nothing personal." Several obvious things should be
included under that heading.

1) Never ever reply to a spam email.
2) Viruses never come from the person in the From: field, at least not
   since the early to mid 90s.
    2a) The obvious implication here is that any replies to that address
        will irritate an innocent party. Some such parties take revenge.
3) If the message says it's been virus scanned odds are it has not.
4) If the message is a bounce because a virus was detected this is a
   fishing job trying to find live addresses.
    4a) If you complain about it you WILL find yourself in more spam
        and virus mailboxes.
5) If it has an EXE suffix it was either done by an utter 'nix or Mac
   naif or contains a windows executable. Odds are it is a virus unless
   you recognize the sender AND expect such from the sender. Scan it
   anyway before opening it.
6) For a first time email based on an address from email, read the plain
   text and sanity check the place you're sending the email. Ebay.com is
   not in Korea, for example.

And so forth.
Basically never reply, even to system administrators of foreign systems,
to any email you find suspicious or annoying. Your address WILL be
harvested.

{^_^} Joanne