Opinions on new Fedora Core 2 install with LVM 2 and snapshots?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Jul 23 20:27:20 UTC 2004

I have a client with an age-old RHL 6.2 system (specs below).
I'm considering replacing the storage array (specs below)
and moving the system to Fedora Core 2 with LVM 2.

- LVM2+Snapshots, close to what NetApp had 4 years ago?

I'd really like to take advantage of snapshots, both for
backup and accidental file deletion purposes.  They are used
to NetApp filers, with the ability to restore files by
mounting the snapshot filesystem.  But cost is everything
now.  How good is LVM2 at this in comparison to where NetApp
was 4 years ago?

- Will be a _new_ install

NOTE:  This would be a _new_ FC2 install.  No issues with
upgrading.  I want to run FC2 with all the kernel, LVM2,
etc... updates that are available and easy to apt-get
(if possible).

With that said, which is better for LVM2, Ext3 or XFS?
I've always been a closet fan of XFS on Linux with all its
inherent capabilities, but if Ext3 is better for LVM2 in
FC2, then I want to stick with Ext3.

I'm also not against using something other than LVM2 if it
is better for XFS, as long as it is GPL (I wasn't aware
anything was other than LVM2, so let me know if I'm
mistaken).

[ I'm yanking the existing storage array and putting it in
another system, so it will keep running RHL 6.2 while
I put a new storage array in the original system and
load FC2.  Then I'll copying all the data over and put it
back in the original's place.  (the old storage array will
be recycled to a Sunfire box). ]

SPECS:
- ServerWorks ServerSet III DLE (dual-PCI _channels_)
- (2) Pentium III 850/100MHz FC-PGA processors
- (4) 256MB PC100 ECC SDRAM (1GB usable)
- (1) NetGear GA620 1000Base-SX 64-bit PCI NIC 512KB SRAM

EXISTING STORAGE ARRAY:
- (1) ICP-Vortex Ultra2 32-bit i960/32MB SDRAM
- (1) SFT External Array
- (8) IBM 18GB 7200rpm Ultra2 drives

NEW STORAGE ARRAY:
- (1) 3Ware 9500S-4LP 64-bit ASIC/PCI 2MB SRAM/128MB SDRAM
- (1) RDC-400-SATA Hot-swap internal enclosure
- (4) Maxtor 7200rpm 200GB SerialATA drives

[ Yes, I know, I'll need to build the 3w-9xxx driver as
it wasn't included until later FC2 kernel releases.  I'll
use a "helper ATA disk" to install FC2 and then install
a newer kernel with the 3w-9xxx driver.  I figured I might
need to do this for LVM2 anyway (unless the FC2 installer
has LVM2 all integrated?  I didn't think it did?) ]

--
     Linux Enthusiasts call me anti-Linux.
   Windows Enthusisats call me anti-Microsoft.
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.         b.j.smith at ieee.org