Hack attempts

Edwin Dicker edwin at dicker.nl
Sat Jul 24 17:56:27 UTC 2004

> Hi,
>
> Just like Scot says..you should buy a hardware router ..most of them have
> firewall capabilities built-in.
>
> Also, go to:
>
> https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
>
> and see how safe you are. This site will scan common ports (or all if you
> want) and you'll see how exposed you are. I highly recommend it.

Of course I agree with you all, except for the fact that a HW firewall
should be any better than a well setup linux box.
My system has been setup quite well I believe and has only ssh and http
open. By using well thought of passwords I feel that my system has enough
protection to keep anyone off the system who doesnt belong there.
The only thing where I was curious about was that the two attempts used
exactly the same names : guest and test, and therefore I was suspecting (
like Scott mentioned ) a kiddie with some code.
Anyway... I'm glad that I posted it and found not to be the only one
'bothered' from that IP.

Cheers
Edwin