README: Please, do keep it up Lisa.

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Jul 24 18:34:43 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Jul 24, Lisa (TheAverageJane) did say:

> On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 09:40, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > how about: don't post lengthy answers to unasked questions.  if you've
> > got this much to say, get a web page, ok?
>
> Well, I'm hoping that the questions that have been answered by this
> weekly post are just that..unasked. That's it's purpose, to let people
> know where to find common things so they don't ask it here over and over
> and over.
>
> :snip:
>
> I am always open to suggestions, and yours has been noted. If other
> folks find this listing an annoyance and think that it's useful no
> longer, then of course, I will stop posting it.  Speak up, folks!
>
> --Lisa

I don't agree about the questions being unasked. I think they are asked.
Perhaps not in the thread. But before the information shows up in your
posting Lisa, somebody had to have asked about it. Your posting can help
prevent many of them from being asked again and again.

Perhaps it might be more palatable to readers like Mr Day, if you
inserted a brief (2 or 3 line) explanation of it's purpose at the top,
just before the line that says:

Latest problems:

In any case I for one am glad to see your post. Though I can't say that
your posting has actually solved any of my problems, <yet!> But I'm sure
that sooner or later I'll have a difficulty where the link I might find
in your posting will be very useful.

In the mean time, If even one out of a hundred repetitive newbie questions
are avoided, then I think it's useful.

I note that if Mr Day really doesn't want to see your message it shouldn't
be to hard for him to filter out messages from  "melgil88" with a subject
containing "README:" Unless... I don't suppose you could include links
to some how-to's on filtering e-mail?

- --

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #