No network after upgrade to Fedora 2

Kellie Blackwell kb4fsu at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jul 24 20:57:20 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have upgraded several machine to Fedora 2 without problem but one machine has been left with no networking.

This particular machine I upgraded from RH7.3 and everything appeared to go fine but I could net get any e-mail and I discovered that my eth0 device has been removed and replaced with a sit0 device which is a bit strange since when the machine is booting it says "Configuring eth0   [ OK ]. Here are the results of 'ifconfig sit0'

sit0    Link encap:Ipv6-in-Ipv4
         inet6 addr: ::127.0.0.1/96 Scope Unknown
         UP RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric 1
         RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped 0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carier:0
         collision:0 txqueuelen:0
         RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0 0 b)

So it would apear that the upgrade configured my ethernet card to IPv6 but was unable to set the address. My old Ipv4 address was 192.168.1.10 (I am behind a Linksys router)

So my question is: how do I configure the system to work as it did before?
Can my internet clients (Balsa, Epiphany, etc) use IPv6 or do I somehow return to Ipv4?

Thanks
Steve the confused.

PS. ping6 ::127.0.0.1 works.