Where's the other printing system?

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Sat Jul 24 23:26:12 UTC 2004

Hello,
I just took the plunge into Fedora Core 2 and I have a problem.  The printer
in my house is on a Windows machine, hence I have to SAMBA to it from my
Linux box.  When I was using Red Hat 9, I had no end of trouble trying to get
CUPS to talk to this printer.  I finally used the print system switcher to
change it to LPRng, and the two machines lived happily after ever.

When I moved to Fedora, I discovered to my chagrin that there was no LPRng
package listed, and the print system switcher only listed CUPS, which is
still giving me the same trouble as before.  So I downloaded a tarball of
LPRng, built and installed it, but it still doesn't show up as an option for
printing systems; the print system switcher still only shows CUPS.  But CUPS
can't find this printer on the (Windows) network, so I have no print
capability.  I'd like to switch the system to LPRng rather than waste time
continuing to fight CUPS.  Can somebody help me figure out how to accomplish
this?

The printer is a Lexmark Z53 and the machine it's hooked to by USB is running
Windows XP Professional; Samba version is 3.0.3-5.  Feel free to let me know
if any more info is needed.

Thanks!
--
Dave Washburn