the registry

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 25 01:09:59 UTC 2004

Kenneth Porter wrote:

<SNIP>

> The registry is sort of like a filesystem, with a similar hierarchical
> structure. The hierarchy is reasonably laid out, and one can usually
> find what one needs in it as rapidly as one can find equivalent settings
> in the Linux /etc and home dotfile trees. In fact, I'd say that /etc is
> rather chaotic and organic and could use some of the structure one
> currently finds in Window's HKLM and HKR hives.

You cannot be serious. The day Linux makes me look for some obscure
setting under {079ACDF2-9218-45CC-B735-AF459E25BC67}\00 is the day I
give up on computers. Yes I need to tweak Windows sometimes, and have
delved the registry on numerous (unwanted) times and to say that a
structure like that, where everything is repeated under different parent
keys, is NORMAL, then calling /etc chaotic is beyond my comprehension. I
had a ghastly nightmare like that when I had to delete all
symantec/norton related keys from my registry. Glad it has a find
command, but it still took close to an hour searching, then deleting,
then searching etc. It looked like a bloody maze in there and I thought
I'd never get out. I'm not going to flame you, I firmly believe everyone
has their own opinion, but what you said simply scared me.

However, I DO strongly agree that all configuration files should be
stored in a single directory. Some are directly under /etc, some under
sub directories of that, and sub directories of something else.

I'm on FC1 and without the locate command, I don't think I would have
found up2date's sources file without wasting 30 minutes looking.

That is something we both do agree on.

Regards,
Ed.