Where's the other printing system?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jul 25 02:13:34 UTC 2004

Below is a copy of the message I replied to last week.  Hope this helps.

I tried a lot of stuff on RH8.0 with out luck.  With FC1 it pretty much
dropped in place once I had the correct permissions and user/password
combination.  When I went back to RH8.0 I had messed with it so much
that I had to use the CUPS interface to create the queue using SMB.  On
a new install of RH8.0 I used the same stuff I learned from FC1 and it
worked without using the CUPS interface.

FC2 I found worked just as easy as FC1.

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 04:25, A. Lanza wrote:
> I think i have both samba client and cups running. How can i check?
> On the other hand, i'm using gnome desktop. I've tried to connect to a
> printer with the GUI utility with no luck :(
>
> Any more help?

I struggled with this for a while also.

I finally had success on a FC1 system and subsequently on an FC2
system.  I used that information to go back and get it working on my
Redhat 8.0 systems as well but that required setting up the queue in the
cups interface for some reason.

Under FC2 I found the following worked.

First, make sure you have samba configured and working.  Add a user on
the FC2 system using the smbpasswd -a username command.

On the windows system setup the same user and password.  (assumption
here is that you are using user security for samba, this may work for
domains but have not tried it.)

Double check on the windows box that the printer is actually shared.

On the FC2 box run the system-config-printer (or select it from the menu
System Settings --> Printing)

Walk through adding a new printer.  When it prompts you will need to
fill in the following information:

name of queue:  set this to what ever you like, something descriptive is
recommended.

share:  This will be the name of the windows system and share
(//windowsbox/printsharename)  Make sure the share name matches what you
configured on the windows box.

address of server:  put the IP address of the windows server here.

User name: put the user name that you setup in samba and on the windows
server.

password: put the password of the samba user, this needs to be the same
on both the FC2 box and the windows box.

workgroup: set this to the same workgroup you have configured on the
windows box and for samba.

The other setting that is critical is getting the correct driver for
your printer.  There are some good resources on the web to track down
print drivers for linux.  Check them out.  In my case I found that the
BJC-7000 driver worked just fine for the Canon i560 printers.  Other
printers I have at work had specific drivers for them already included
so no problems with the other printers I had.

Once you have all that set it will prompt you to print a test page.
This should print out.

On my Redhat 8.0 boxes I had to use the CUPS configuration web pages to
get a queue built.  Been awhile since I have done that so I don't
remember off the top of my head all the steps.  But once I built the
queue using the CUPS interface I was able to print the test pages and
from other applications just fine.

FC1 and FC2 made the whole printer setup much easier for me.

If you followed all the stuff above and it did not work make sure you
double check everything for typos.  And make sure the samba/windows
users info is matching on both systems.

Hope that helps.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>