sendmail forward how to?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 25 05:36:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 08:17:59AM -0700, Joshua Andrews wrote:
> kursik3 wrote:
>
> >Hi all.
> >
> >There is one mail box from which I want to do the forward on other box.
> >
> >user1 at myserver.com  ----> any at anydomain.com
> >
> >But I want to leave also letters in the first box.
> >How to resolve this problem?
> >Thanks.
> >

> Just add the user name to the .forward file;
> user1, any at anydomain.com

There are three ways.
      /etc/aliases
      $HOME/.forward
      $HOME/.procmailrc

Do test each of these.

    in /etc/aliases
       user1:	user1, any at anydomain.com
      or depending on sendmail version.
       user1:	\user1, any at anydomain.com

    in  $HOME/.forward
	user1, any at anydomain.com
      or depending on the version of sendmail.
	\user1, any at anydomain.com

    in  $HOME/.procmailrc
       :0c
       ! any at anydomain.com

Procmail has a number of advantages.  If procmail is enabled in
sendmail the .forward might not work as expected (commonly the case in
Fedora).

Then there are interesting issues with ypaliases, LDAP and other site
administrative tricks.  It is even possible to do this with hand
crafted stuff in sendmail.cf

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where insight begins.