Test with Chkrootkit

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jul 25 17:21:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 13:04, Norman Nunn wrote:
> Scot
>
> I checked my ls version versus your info and it matches.  Thanks for
> your response.  I relearned a couple of other important lessons here.
>
> 1. Check other maillist for leads, and
> 2. Check the program developer's site for the latest stable release and
> notes on its use or limitations
> 3. Keep these security and virus programs uptodate!
>
> I assume that since the chkrootkit-0.43 gave no indication of warnings
> or infections, that my system is ok.  But you know what they say about
> the word assume.
>
> Norm

All excellent points to keep in mind!

Yes, I would think you are ok.  The ls infected thing had me a little
worried but then I am more than a little paranoid about this stuff. :)

I went through the scramble the first time I ran chkrootkit on a Fedora
system and got that report.  After researching it for an hour I figured
out what was going on and was able to relax a little.

For this stuff it is always better to ask questions and question the
answers until you understand it.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

If voting could change the system, it would be illegal.  If not voting
could change the system, it would be illegal.