No network after upgrade to Fedora 2

Kellie Blackwell kb4fsu at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jul 25 20:18:23 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: No network after upgrade to Fedora 2

> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 12:37, Kellie Blackwell wrote:
> > It's an ASUS A7V-E.
> >
> > I tried setting the BIOS setting to manual but I got the same problem. I
> > noticed that in /var/log/dmesg there is a line that says:
> >
> > isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
> > isapnp: No Plug and Play device found.
> >
> > Steve
>
> hmm, I am not sure which motherboard I had that problem with.  Will have
> to check at work on Monday.
>
> When you try to configure the network card do you see it and/or get any
> errors?

I tried running ./network start from /etc/init.d and I get the messages
about starting the loopback interface and starting the eth0 interface but it
seems that eth0 does not start since when I do a ./network stop there is
only a message about stopping the loopback interface.

> You may want to disable IPv6 entirely, I doubt you need it at this
> point.  It should not be causing you any problems but it is one less
> thing to worry about.

I have tried adding NETWORKING_IPV6=no to my /etc/sysconfig/network but I
get the same result.

> And the plug and play issue may not be the problem with your particular
> motherboard.
>
> Start by trying to add your network interface manually to see if you can
> get the system to see it at all.  Report back any error messages you
> get.

When I try /sbin/ifup eth0 it returns with no messages but the interface is
not there. I did some looking around and the last line it executes before
returning is

modprobe -c | awk "/^(alias|install)[[:space:]]+$1[[:space:]]/ {print
\\$3 }"'

which is from the is_available() function which is called just after the
comment "Now check the real state" in /sbin/ifup.

Steve