Installing RPM s

Kellie Blackwell kb4fsu at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jul 25 21:59:57 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tore Frederiksen" <jot2re at hotmail.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 5:27 PM
Subject: Installing RPM s

> Hey..
>
> Ive just startet using fedora.. but when i try to install RPM software the
> computer is asking me what software i would like to use to open the RPM
> files.. i dont now what to say.. i dont know what the RPM installler is
> called in fedora.. please help me...
>
> KR Tore Frederiksen

You use rpm to install rpm packages ;-)

Try this as root:

# rpm -qa | grep rpm

You should see at least something like:
rpm-4.3.1-0.3

(Don't worry too much about the version numbers.) Assuming that you have rpm
and that you want to install a rpm package called <something>.rpm which is
on your local hard drive, do this:

# rpm -Uvh <something.rpm>

For more info check out the man page. There are many many options including
installing from remote sites via ftp or http.

Steve.