Fresh FC1 hang/lock-up with sawfish/xterm

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Mon Jul 26 10:53:55 UTC 2004

   Have a fresh FC1 install;  whenever I try to replace metacity with
sawfish, and then run an xterm* the whole thing hangs on me
(sawfish/gnmoe-session, not a box lock-up).

   I'm absolutely stumped!

   I *think* I can run sawfish safely every time from a remote ssh
session (DISPLAY=:0.0 sawfish &), but if I try it from the gnome login,
I'll get a few seconds of activity, then one of sawfish/gnome-session
hangs on me.  I've even tried unsetting 'SESSION_MANAGER' before running
sawfish (as that's not set on the 'OK' ssh session), although I note
there are a couple of other SM-related variables I may try.

   I've even tried on a brand new user account with all default/blank
settings, and *that* does it!  It all works fnie at home, but my box
there has been upgraded through RH6.1+ to FC1 (not FC2 yet).

* - I *think* it's only xterm I have grief with.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature