change runlevel at boot time not working

Whil Hentzen linuxnews at hentzenwerke.com
Mon Jul 26 22:09:41 UTC 2004

I have X (GNOME and KDE) installed, but I'd like to boot to the command prompt
directly, without having to go to the GUI and then get out.

The RH9 manual (the best doc I can find) says to go to the Graphical GRUB boot
loader screen, type e to edit it, arrow down to the kernel line, type e to
edit it, at the prompt, type the number of the runlevel (e.g. 3), press Enter
to get back to the GRUB screen, type b to boot.

When I do so, I get a kernel panic. The last line on the screen suggests to
use 'init= option". I try that instead of just '3'. Same kernel panic.

I don't want to edit inittab. I just want to choose which runlevel to get into
during booting. I'm sure it's trivial and in the manual somewhere... but my
eyes haven't found it yet.

--
Whil

Moving to Linux: Freedom, Choice, Security, Opportunity
http://www.hentzenwerke.com