Bash Quirkiness

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 27 12:16:42 UTC 2004

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> both $( ) and `` are, as i read it, part of the official Single UNIX
> Specification (therefore, they're part of POSIX),

Cool, I didn't realise that was on-line. I thought POSIX was still in
mega-bucks to access mood.

Thanks.

> which means that
> bash pretty much has to keep the older construct, at the very least
> in POSIX-compliant mode.
>
> nothing says that bash has to be POSIX-compliant in normal mode,
> though.  technically, i suppose the bash developers could make any
> changes they want, and if it broke one of your scripts, well, tough,
> you don't have a bash-compliant script and you shouldn't be trying to
> run it with bash.

Sounds a good way to lose users and gain forks to me...

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | +--------------Information------------------+
westexe.demon.co.uk    | | Killed user #23. Please inform the morgue |