Anyone use Nagios? Need some help.

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 27 12:36:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 23:18, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 17:05, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > Are you running this as your mortal self or as root?
>
> I've looked into both suggestions offered so far (btw, thanks to the
> both of you).
>
> I'm running the check_rpc plugin as root, and as the nagios user, but
> the result is the same.
>
> I've also checked what the $PATH environment variable is for the nagios
> user:
>
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> The login shell for nagios is "/bin/sh".

If it is a path type issue why not hard code the full path of the
program into the script?  That should either prove or disprove the
theory very quickly.  Look for the place in the script that the program
is call and put the full path to it there.

Double check the permissions on the file also.  If it is owned by root
but has 700 type permissions that may cause the same thing.

And based on the PATH environment variable above /usr/sbin is not
included in that.  And with /bin/sh set as that users shell the
.bash_profile will not be used.  I think you would need to put the PATH
variable in .profile for that shell.  I am a little rusty with that but
I think that is right.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The American Dental Association announced today that most plaque tends
to form on teeth around 4:00 PM in the afternoon.

Film at 11:00.