How to Configure Qmail on Fedora Core 1 Server

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Jul 27 14:51:09 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-07-27 09:18, Alexander Dalloz whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>Am Di, den 27.07.2004 schrieb usmany at excite.com um 16:12:
>

>>I have fedora core 1 system that i installed and config (doing fine), but i have some little problem installing and configuring Qmail or any other and simple mail software on the box, eg. openwebmail if that will work on the box?
>>
>>Can someone outline all syntax on how i will go about the Qmail or OpenWebMail installation and configuration?
>>

>Why not using the applications that come with Fedora Core?
>
>Here for FC1 it would be Postfix or Sendmail as the MTA part, uw-imap or
>dovecot for the IMAP/POP3 server part, and last but not least
>SquirrelMail for a web frontend to access the mail server through a
>browser.
>
>Alexander

At least one point, which is major to me :-)  Buried in the sample
configuration file for dovecot is a comment that the refusal to serve
mail for root is compiled into the binary, no matter that it seems to
allow for it in the configuration.  I have a small private network of 5
machines in my office, and I wish to read *all* my email from several
accounts in one Mozilla profile running on a Windows 2000 machine
(mostly because it's by far the fastest of my lot).  Even if there
*were* any possible security issues here (which I am convinced there are
not), I don't like this decision taken out of my hands.  (I suppose I
could hack the dovecot sources and re-build it.)  But it's simpler to
use qmail, which has a configuration option for this.  (I am willing to
*briefly* debate the security (non-)issues of this, if anyone cannot see
for themselves;  but I refuse to debate any "political" issues about
FOSS, Dan B., or etc/usw.)

For the OP's question:  the site http://www.qmailrocks.org/ has some
very detailed step-by-step instruction sets, including FC1 and FC2
specific sets.

--
Fritz Whittington
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. And tomorrow isn't looking good either.