Establishing a mail-only account?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 27 18:43:14 UTC 2004

david wrote:
> At 11:19 AM 7/27/2004, you wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 10:55, Ding Li wrote:
>> > What's difference between /bin/false and /sbin/nologin?
>> >

>> /sbin/nologin displays a configurable message that the account is not
>> available, /bin/false does not. man login is your friend.
>>
>> --
>> Brian Gaynor
>> Precision MicroControl Corp.
>

> Yes, Brian..... man login is indeed my friend.  The real problem is that
> I didn't think to look there.  I googled stuff like
> Linux Users, did man useradd, man pam, but never having typed in
> "login", I didn't think to look there.
>
> Man pages etc. have all the information; the problem is knowing where to
> look.
>
> Everyday I learn new things.

Keep this one in your toolbox:  "man -k some-keyword", meaning "find me
man pages that have 'some-keyword' in their description".  This is the
same as the "apropos" command.
-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -