FC2 menus

Bryan K. Wright bryan at ayesha.phys.Virginia.EDU
Tue Jul 27 19:25:11 UTC 2004

Hi Mike,

mike at thexxxhost.com said:
> Been looking for a single file that has the menu in it. Couldn't fin
> it.

Under FC2, the menus are defined according to the freedesktop xdg
standards.  Take a look here:

	http://freedesktop.org/Standards/menu-spec/0.8/

The bottom line is that, by default in FC2, the initial menus are
defined by a set of files in /etc/xdg/menus/.  These files contain
xml statements (defined in the freedesktop standards) that control
the layout of the menus.  Desktop files are searched for in several
locations, such as /usr/share/applications, /usr/share/desktop-menu-patches,
etc.  The menu system looks at information in the xdg files and the
desktop files (primarily the name information and a list of
categories that describe each desktop item) and builds up a menu
from this.

	The standard also has a provision for supporting "Legacy"
menus.  These are the friendly, old-style menus created by putting
desktop files into a directory tree.  Unfortunately, I'm having trouble
getting this to work when I want to ONLY include a legacy tree.

						Bryan

Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901  |
(434) 924-7218              |         bryan at virginia.edu