vpnc & X Apps

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Wed Jul 28 03:06:45 UTC 2004

I am using VPNC to connect to my employer's network of SUN solaris
systems. I can login into the Sun workstation on my desk at work with no
problems. However if I try to open an X application on my home system
from my workstation I keep getting:

 Error: Can't open display:  vpn226.myworkdomain.com:0.0

DNS is working properly since vpn226.myworkdomain.com resolves to
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which also happens to be the IP address assigned to
device tun. The solaris box on my desk is using the csh shell so on my
workstation I did:

setenv DISPLAY vpn226.myworkdomain.com:0.0

and on my home PC:

xhost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Clearly I am missing something. Do I have to open something up on my
firewall in addition to the usual VPN ports? I need to be able to open
some X apps on my home PC for it to be of use. Any help is, of course,
greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)