Network configuration problem.

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Wed Jul 28 03:38:01 UTC 2004

Hi Erik,

> My internet access is through a router owned by my ISP. The WAN side is
> a fixed address which is translated to 192.168.1.0, netmask
> 255.255.255.0. Fairly normal, I think. The LAN interface is 192.168.1.1
> to which my server is connected via an ethernet interface. Address
> 192.168.1.7 is to a Linksys wireless router, address 192.168.2.0. This
> is for my customers so I can hook them up to my network whenever they
> visit my office. This is a fine setup for my customers. The only problem
> I have and which I have not been able to solve is that I can't see the
> customer machines on the network from the server but they can see the
> server. To put it simple, a machine on 192.168.2.125 can ping the server
> on 192.168.1.1 but I can't ping the other way.

> What do I need to specify? I am happily running FC2 updated to latest
> level.

You probably have the Linksys set up to do NAT (the default, and
impossible to turn off in many models).  That will block requests from
192.168.1 to 192.168.2 .  You could possibly set it up non-NAT, but
then your Internet router would need to be configured with a static
route and to do NAT for the other subnet.

IMO, if you don't need extra security between your customers and the
office LAN, it is easiest to set up the Linksys as just an access
point, not using its routing function.  To do this, disconnect the
WAN port altogether.  From a PC on its LAN side, change the Linksys
WAN address to something that does not conflict, e.g. 192.168.3.7 .
Then, disable its DHCP server, and change its LAN address to 192.168.1.7 .
Connect a LAN port on the Linksys to your office LAN switch.  If neither
side is auto MDI/MDX, you will need a crossover cable.  Now, your
wireless clients will get IP addresses 192.168.1.x, handed out by
whatever does DHCP on your office LAN, presumably either the Internet
router or your server.  The Linksys will just be a bridge, so you
don't need any special routes on your server.

Good luck,

Stewart