How to Configure Qmail on Fedora Core 1 Server

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Wed Jul 28 04:36:18 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-07-27 17:36, Sam Varshavchik whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> Fritz Whittington writes:
>
>> *Mail read with Mozilla on a Windows machine from a POP3 server
>> doesn't have root's privileges either!*
>

> But your server process does.  If your POP3 server has a known
> exploit, and you're running it as root, then it's game over.

I don't think you understand the situation.  The POP3 server is running
on the Linux box.  And whether it's running as root or not has nothing
to do with the security (or lack thereof) of the Mozilla that's running
on the Windows box and fetching mail from the POP3 server.  Nor does it
matter what's in the email or which user's mbox it came from.

--
Fritz Whittington
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. (Marie Ebner von Eschenbach, Aphorisms, 1905)